How to prepare Sambar powder?
Sambar is one of the important side dishes of South Indian breakfast, brunch or lunch and preparing it is very easy if you have ready made powder. This a gravy based curry which a good dipping for any Tiffin. I prepare my own sambar powder for the preparation and try this you surely enjoy it.
- Thoor Dhal – 250 gms
- Dried red chilly – 1 kg
- Coriander seeds – 500 gm
- Peppercorn – 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds – 2 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds – 21/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 2 tsp
- Asafetida – 1 small piece
- Oil – 1 tbsp
Method of Preparation:
- Apply oil on the red chilies and roast in a Iron wok or earthenware
- Roast and grind thoor dhal, coriander seeds and fenugreek seeds separately
- Roast peppercorns, cumin seeds and asafetida and grind to a fine powder
- Mix all the ground powder together with the turmeric powder (no need to roast)
- We can store it in air tight container for long
N.B.: Instead of 250 gm of thoor dhal, we can use thoor dhal 150 gms, Uradu dhal 50 gms and Bengal gram 50 gms. If you add ground paste of roasted coconut, sambar taste the best.