Idli and Sambar – a healthy breakfast combo
Idly and Sambar is one of my all time favourite and now it is my family’s too. If it is Idly and Sambar, it reduces lot of my cooking time since Idlies can be steamed in batches in one go. The same sambar can be used for lunch and some times for dinner with the same left over Idlies.
Ingredients for Idly/Idli:
- Idly Rice (Doppi rice) – 3 cups
- Raw rice (Pachari) – 1 cup
- Black lentil or Urad dhal – 1 cup (without its black skin)
- Fenugreek/Methi seeds/ Uluva – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
Method of Preparing Idly/Idli batter:
- Wash and soak urad dhal in enough water for 6-7 hrs and grind to a smooth foamy batter
- Wash and soak both the rice and Methi seeds in enough water for 6-7 hrs and grind to a slightly coarse batter
- Mix both the batter together and keep aside for fermentation (time required for fermentation will depend on the temperature of the room)
- Mix enough salt to taste and keep aside for at least 10-15 mins prior to start preparing Idlies.
Method of Preparing Idly/Idli:
- Grease the idly mould and pour the batter in each mould, steam cook for 10-12 mins over medium heat
- Shift the mould from the steamer and let it cool, scoop out the idlies from the mould with a spoon
- Repeat the procedure with the rest of the batter
- Serve it with sambar or chutney of your choice
Ingredients for Sambar:
- Thoor dhal – 1 cup
- Drumstick – 1, cut into 2” long piece
- Cucumber – 1/2 cup, 1” cubes
- Small onion/Shallots – handful
- Okra/ladies finger/vendakka – 4-5, cut into 2” long piece
- Cluster beans/French beans/broad beans – 4-5, cut into 2” long piece
- Brinjal/Egg plant – 2, cubed
- Carrot – 1 small, cubed
- Potato/Chembu(colocasia) – 2-3, cubed
- Green chilly – 3-4
- Coriander leaves chopped – handful
Method of Preparation:
- Wash and soak Thoor dhal in hot water for 15 mins and pressure cook with a pinch of turmeric powder and salt, 1 whistle is enough and keep aside
- Cook drumstick, cucumber, small onion, beans, brinjal, potato, carrot, and green chilly in enough water with 2 tsp of chilly powder, 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder and salt to taste
- When it is almost half cooked add vendakka/okra and tomato, cover and cook for 3 mins over medium heat
- Add tamarind pulp and cooked dhal, mix well and add coriander powder, chilly powder, coriander leaves and let it boil for 2 mins
- Add asafoetida and mix well, if it too thick add little more boiling water, and let it boil again
- Heat 1 tbsp of ghee and fry 1/2 tsp of fenugreek seeds until brown and add dried red chilly and curry leaves and fry, pour it over the prepared sambar, cover and keep aside. Mix well before serving.
Now it is time to have a healthy and delicious breakfast. Enjoy your Idly and Sambar with a hot cup of tea.
Note: Measurement of tamarind pulp, chilly powder, and coriander powder is not given because you can adjust it according to your taste bud requirement.