Raw Mango Pickle/Kadu Manga Achar
Pickles are one of the regular items you see in every house in Kerala and especially mango pickles. There are variety of mango pickles like tender mango pickle, Ada Manga Achar (Ada manga is the mango slices are soaked in salt water and dried in sunlight and conveniently make the achar later on), Manga thokku (grated mango pickle), Manga Avakai ( mango is cut along with its shell in chunks and pickled), etc.. Not only mango, variety of other fruits and vegetables are used to prepare pickles like lemon, nellikka (amla/Indian gooseberry), carrot, beans, chow chow, dates, etc. as well fish, beef, etc.
- Raw Mango – 1/2 kg
- Green Chilly – 5-6
- Salt to taste
- Any cooking oil – tbsp (preferably gingelly oil or Nallenna)
- Fenugreek seeds/Uluva – 1/4 tsp
- Mustard – 1 tsp
- Dried red chilly halved – 3-4
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Ginger – 100 gms, coarsely crushed and chopped into small pieces
- Garlic – 100 gms, coarsely crushed
- Red chilly powder – 5 tbsp (Kashmiri chilly powder)
- Asafoetida/Kayam podi – 1/4 tsp
Method of Preparation:
- Clean and dry the mangoes and cut into small pieces along with its skin. Cut the green chilly, add to the mango pieces, mix well with salt to taste, cover and keep aside for 2-3 hrs
- Heat oil in a wok or kadai, fry fenugreek seeks till it is light brown and add mustard, halved red chilly, and curry leaves
- When mustard stop crackling, add garlic and sauté for 2 mins over medium heat
- Now add Ginger and fry until its raw smell disappears
- Reduce the flame to simmer and add red chilly powder and fry for 1 mins, check for the salt and add according to your choice
- Turn off the stove and add asafoetida, mix well and let it to cool to the room temperature
- When it is cooled, add to the mango pieces and mix well. Now it is ready to be bottled and stored.
- If you want the mango pieces to be soft, keep the bottled pickle in a cool and dry place for a full day and later store it in the refrigerator.
Enjoy your pickle with Kanji, chapatti, plain rice, etc..