Unniyappam – Diwali special
Unniyappam or small appam like Mohanlal said in Yodha Movie is one of our favourites. It took lot of my effort and so many trial to get the Unniyappam in proper shape and texture like it is prepared at home. My mom’s sister (my Kunjamma) is an expert in making this very famous Kerala snack. Since she is always there, I never tried my hands on Unniyappam. But two months back, when I went for shopping, I found a Unniyappa Kara or Unniyappa Chatti (a special mould to make Unniyappam) and tried to make it but it was a disaster since it was much harder than a stone. In the second trial, it was soft but no shape and this is the third time it came out well as expected. Try and find that it is an ideal snack to share on the special occassion of Diwali
- Raw rice (Pachari) – 1 cup (300 ml cup) soaked for 5-6 hrs and grind to a fine powder ( You get about 2 and 1/2 cup powder)
- Ripen banana (preferably Palayamkodan) – 4-5 medium size
- Jaggery – 100 gms (melted and strained – about 1/2 cup)
- Ghee – 1 tbsp
- Cardamom Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – a pinch
- Coconut slivers – 2 tbsp (fried in 1 tsp of ghee)
- Sesame seeds/Ellu (Black) – 2 pinches (optional)
- Milk sufficient enough to loosen the batter
- Coconut Oil to fry Unniyappam
Method of Preparation:
- Slightly roast rice flour and mix with banana, jaggery syrup, salt, Cardamom powder, and Ghee to make a smooth batter (use your hand to make the batter).
- The consistency of the batter should be Idly batter
- If the mixed batter is too thick, add milk to the mixture and loosen the batter
- Keep aside for 3-4 hours and when the batter becomes fluffy and smooth, stir in sesame seeds and fried coconut sliver and keep aside for 10 mins
- Heat the Unniyappa Chatti and fill the mould with coconut oil or ghee
- When the oil is moderately hot, reduce the flame just below the medium and fill 3/4 of each depression with the batter and fry until both the sides are done
- When one side is done it automatically flips over or use a fork to flip over and let it fry until the bubbles set aside
- Remove from oil and drain on to a tissue paper.
- Serve it warm with tea or coffee.
You can store in a air tight container for 3-4 days without getting it spoiled.
Share and enjoy this tasty Unniyappam with your friends and relatives on this Diwali.